Client and Mandate
Antegrad developed an electronic purchase system mandated by a university hospital. With this system it is possible, to stop all stand alone purchases of the hospital. The person that requests has the possibility to process the contemporary purchase through the purchasing department of the clinic.
Exploratory express deliveries are deliveries, which have to take place within a few hours. Therefore it is not possible to use the common standard practices.
The basis and precedent condition for such purchases are:
- The purchaser has the relevant authority (this authority is assigned through the corporate board (CEO) – online in the administration area of the tool).
- The only application in use is the one that was developed by Antegrad.
The purchaser has knowledge about the availability of funds and sufficient funds are available.
The target is to provide a controlled opportunity to purchase goods through scientists, which are required in a very short time.
The implementation concept supports the initiation of the new application and communicates its contents and advantages
At the very beginning of the project we analysed the current procedure to purchase exploratory express deliveries of the university hospital.
Particularly we defined the following weaknesses:
- Stand alone Purchase via phone/fax through the scientists
- Purchases outside the „system“ (about 30% of total purchase volume)
- extensive verifying, booking, allocation of costs
- Missing transparency
- Debit of other party possible
- All previous attempts to control and manage the division failed
- Different points of interest avoid to solve the problem
A new process was necessary to settle the scientists claim, of fast purchase of goods for their research and simultaneously to control the order transaction which includes the guarantee of budget control.
[ to the top ]
After the agreement about the contract with the faculty and the corporate board of the university hospital Antegrad implemented the project to establish an efficient electronic purchase system within following time line:
• Setting of procedure: 5 days
• Assignment of software development: 12 days
• Implementation: 6 days
• Go live: less than 3 weeks after assignment
The web based system for exploratory express deliveries –developed by Antegrad- provides the following scope of services:
- A stored function in the Intranet of the university hospital can be selected by the authorised scientists (access per user name and password).
- When the application has been opened the purchaser can enter the following:
- Volume/quantity unit
- Delivery address
- Mandatory fields has to be completed for the intern company invoicing
- Third Party Funds (Y/N) if Y: Specification of the nr. of internal order
- Cost unit of research (if Y)
- Executive Position
- The system generates a 8-digit order number with the following logic (FE: 00001 – the purchase department established the corresponding range of numbers in SAP-MM)
- Out of this information the system creates an order number, when the suppliers fax-nr. is named.
- The person (user name), that initiated the order can be identified, the order will be forwarded immediately to the purchase department and the executive board of the institute
The purchase department will enter the “Order” real-time in SAP
As soon as it is available in the system, the order gets verified and calculated.
With the Report-System of the Antegrad-Tool it is possible to identify every single order. On the one hand the transparency is necessary for appropriation of costs to each research project, on the other hand to guarantee the correct separation of “Order Clinic” and “Order Research”
The actual costs of such short term orders are noted immediately, not only after invoice received.
[ to the top ]
Result of Project
The new application of exploratory express deliveries offers a controlled opportunity to purchase goods through the scientists, which are needed in the short term. Orders get admissible in law for the hospital and the scientists through the generation of a „Hospital-Order”.
The transparency, means the knowledge „who buys what in account of which project and respectively which research organisation“, supports the prevention of mistakes of charging costs.
An appropriate disposition of funds is guaranteed and the wrong cost allocation is avoided.
The direct quantitative benefit is the discharge of the accounts payable department through the reduction of 2 full vigour (90.000 € per year).
Significant amounts will be saved through the prohibition of abuse and creation of transparency.
[ to the top ]